My 10 Basic ‘Top Tips’
Here are some tips, which you may find useful, when working with pastels on location.
1. Choose a coloured sheet of pastel paper, or card, to suit your
2. Start ‘lean’ and ‘loose’.
3. Try and work as quickly as possible.
4. Don’t press too heavily and allow for a build up of layers.
5. Use a hogs hair brush, or stencil brush, to clear away mistakes.
6. Keep your initial concept clearly in your head.
7. Be receptive to accidents and incidents, if they contribute to what
you are trying to achieve.
8. Use fixative for a good reason; creating a barrier, darkening an
area, holding a heavy build up of pastel in place, etc..
9. Tap the back of your work with your fingers for at least a minute, to
remove any loose particles.
10. Turn your work face down against your support board with masking
tape, or bulldog clips, and hold it in place, avoiding lateral movemen